Getting My Hands Dirty with Mudbox

Taking full advantage of Autodesk's wonderful free student licences, I've decided to familiarise myself with Mudbox.

3D digital sculpting and digital painting software gives you the freedom to create production-ready 3D digital artwork without worrying about the technical details.
-http://usa.autodesk.com  
So I’m going to be updating this post with periodic images of my first sculpt, a T-Rex.

First image:
Getting to grips with the 'Push' and 'Sculpt' brushes.
My graphics tablet won't work so this is all going to be mouse work.


I'm using this as an anatomy guide:
Q. doyouthinkhesaurus?
A. doyouthinkthat'sfunny?

Update 01: Found the 'Knife' and 'Pinch' tool; good for finer detail and sketching in shapes.
Shift-D to move up a subdivision level to add greater detail.

Not looking very T-Rex - will have to check some reference

Update 02: Decided to dial it back and get all the general shapes tied down using a whole host of references. I realised my initial enthusiasm for smaller details would produce a very messy, uneducated model. The main progression is in the legs where I've added much more definition. I have also reshaped the head, specifically he eye socket which was previously lost in the skull.

Update 03: Moving up a sub-div level I started laying in detail using the 'Spray' tool and continued carving using the 'Knife' adding wrinkles in the flesh at joints

More importantly...
I discovered the viewport filter!
'Matthew' learnt the 'apply filter' technique, it's super effective (...or super lazy)

Designed to give you a better feel for the sculpt as if in situ.. I'm using it to make these crude renders more palatable.
I think I'm calling him Rendersaurus-Rex

POSTED BY Matthew Wood
DISCUSSION 0 Comments

Leave a Reply